CompTIA Security+ (SYO-401) Course
£99.00 including VAT (was £195.00)Save £96.00
Offer ends 31 May 2022
- Course Type Online Course
- Course Duration 35 Hours
- Course Access 12 Months
- Awarded By CompTIA
- Student Discount Card All students enrolled on this course are entitled to apply for a XO student discount card.
For our latest CompTIA Security+ course, please visit CompTIA Security+ Course.
CompTIA Security+ is the certification globally trusted to validate foundational, vendor-neutral IT security knowledge and skills. As a benchmark for best practices in IT security, this certification covers the essential principles for network security and risk management - making it an important stepping stone of an IT security career.
IT security is paramount to organisations as cloud computing and mobile devices have changed the way we do business. With the massive amounts of data transmitted and stored on networks throughout the world, it's essential to have effective security practices in place. That's where CompTIA Security+ comes in.
You will learn how to ensure a network is secure, how to detect and deal with security threats, identify vulnerabilities and cryptography (the writing and solving of codes). The acquisition of the Network+ certification will mean that you have a superior understanding of various security- and networking-related matters.
Get the Security+ certification to show that you have the skills to secure a network and deter hackers and you're ready for the job.
it is recommended that you earn the CompTIA Network+ certification before studying the CompTIA Security+ course.
The course has been designed to give you real-world knowledge that you can put to use from day one. It's highly flexible, so you can set your own timetable and study at your own pace. You can start learning right away with an initial payment of £21.67 by using our 9 month interest-free payment plan.
We train our students to the very best standards, offering expert instructor-led training via our state of the art eLearning platform.
This course is intended for Network Administrators and other IT professionals looking to learn more about network security.
By choosing online learning instead of a classroom based course, it eliminates the need for time away from work, saving you valuable time and money. It is ideal for those with tight schedules as our online courses give you 12 months unlimited access to all the course materials, so you can study at a pace that suits you. Allowing you to easily resume your studies whenever you have the time. All you need is internet connection to study, so you can study from the comfort of your home or any environment that suits you.
You'll sit an exam at a local test centre. We provide interactive quizzes after each module and a mock exam at the end of your course to ensure you're fully prepared for the real thing. Once you've passed with at least 80%, you'll be able to book your exam as a private candidate.
- CompTIA SYO-401 (This exam has been retired by CompTIA)
To make life easier, we can help you find an appropriate exam centre and give you all the information you need to secure your place. You can use the Pearson Vue Test Locator to find test centre locations near you.
Please note that the CompTIA exam fees aren’t included in the course price. To find the latest exam prices, visit:
Once you’re fully prepared and ready to sit your exam, all you’ll have to do is purchase your exam voucher and schedule your exam at a test centre near you. For more information on how to schedule your exams, please visit our exams and testing page.
Got a question about exams? Contact our course advisors by email or by phone on 0808 175 1269. We're happy to help!
Our training works on all devices including Mobile phones, IPad’s, Android tablets, Macs and PC’s.
For the best viewing experience on our state-of-the-art eLearning platform we recommend an internet connection of 10Mbps or better. Please also use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your browser with Adobe Flash Player.
We've put together a list of relevant job titles you can apply for after achieving the CompTIA Security+ certification (note that some careers may require further study, training and/or work experience):
- Internet Security Specialist
- IT Compliance Specialist
- Network Administrator
- It Security Architect
- IT Manager
- IT Security Administrator
- IT Security Consultant
- IT Security Controls Manager
In these roles, the average salary you can earn is £32,500.00 per year (source: itjobswatch.co.uk, UK Only).
IT Jobs Watch provides a unique perspective on today's information technology job market. Their aim is to present a concise and accurate map of the prevailing UK IT job market conditions.
Once you have achieved your certification, you'll have full access to our recruitment package for a wide range of information and advice - including:
- How to put together a killer CV, Covering Letters and Thank You emails.
- How to gain relevant work experience.
- How to prepare for interviews.
- How to understand Job adverts.
- How to choose the right recruitment agency.
- How to look for work on LinkedIn.
- Information on dealing with redundancy.
Our careers advice section is available for you to see now. For more information about our career advice services, contact us on 0808 175 1269 to speak with one of our friendly course advisors today.
Getting a CompTIA certification will always help you stand out from the crowd, now and in the future - whether you're just starting out, developing your career, or changing direction entirely.
Research by e-Skills UK has shown that IT and telecommunications now employs 1 in 20 of the UK workforce. It also suggests the digital sector will need nearly 300,000 new recruits by 2020 to meet the demand for skills in this area.
Topic A: System Maintenance
- Causes of Compromised Security
- Technology Weaknesses
- Configuration Weaknesses
- Policy Weaknesses
- Human Error and Malice
- Securing the Operating System
- Microsoft Update
- Windows Update Categories
- Demo - A-2: Updating the Operating System
- Patch Management
- Demo - A-3: Managing Software Patches
- Service Packs
- Demo - A-4: Checking for and Installing Service Packs
- BIOS Version
- BIOS Update
- Demo - A-5: Determining Whether you Need to Update your Computer's BIOS
- Windows Firewall
- User Account Control
- Demo - A-6: Configuring Windows Firewall
- Application Vulnerabilities
- Demo - B-1: Managing Application Security
- Physical Access Control
- Smart Card and Reader
- Fingerprint Scanner
- Biometric Devices
- Plant Security
- Cipher Lock
- Malware Varieties
- Malware Effects Anti-malware
- Antivirus Software
- Anti-malware Products
- Demo - D-2: Installing Antivirus Software
- Windows Defender
- Demo - D-3: Scanning your System for Spyware
- Social Engineering
- Types of Social Engineering
- Social Engineering Countermeasures
- Demo - E-2: Examining Phishing
- Social Networking
Unit 02 - Cryptography
Topic A: Symmetric Cryptography
- ROT13 Cipher
- Symmetric Encryption in Action
- Common Symmetric Ciphers
- Uses for Hashes
- MD5 Hash Algorithm
- Hash Vulnerabilities
- Demo - A-2: Calculating Hashes
- Demo - A-3: Sharing a Secret Message with Steganography
- Public Key Cryptography
- Asymmetric Encryption in Action
- Common Asymmetric Ciphers
- Demo - B-1: Exploring Public Key Cryptography
- Digital Signatures
- Signature Process
- Features of Signatures
- Digital Certificates
- Certificate Types
- Demo - B-2: Examining Certificates
- Public Key Infrastructure
- Certificate Policy
- Certificate Practice Statement
- Trust Models
- Single-authority Trust Model
- Hierarchical Trust Model
- Web of Trust Model
- Demo - B-3: Examining Certificate Trusts Single- and Dual-key Certificates
- Quantum Cryptography
Unit 03 - Authentication
Topic A: Authentication Factors and Requirements
- Three Steps to Secure Resources
- Authentication Factors
- One-factor Authentication
- Two-factor Authentication
- Three-factor Authentication
- Identification and Authentication
- Identity Proofing
- Single Sign-on
- Authentication Protocols
- NTLM Challenge-response
- NTLM Vulnerabilities
- Kerberos System Composed of:
- Kerberos Data Types:
- Kerberos Authentication Process
- Cross-realm Authentication
- Kerberos Security Weaknesses
- Null Sessions
- Authentication Vulnerabilities
- Secure Passwords
- Password Realities
- Least Privilege
- Demo - C-1: Identifying Authentication Vulnerabilities
- Demo - C-2: Capturing Passwords with a Protocol Analyzer
- Password Cracking
- Password Guessing
- SAM and SYSTEM Files
- Demo - C-3: Cracking Passwords
Unit 04 - User - and Role-based Security
Topic A: Baseline Security Policies
- Security Baselines
- Demo - A-1: Using MBSA to Analyze Security
- Group Policy Settings
- Local GPO Types
- GPO Editor
- Local Computer GPO Nodes
- Demo - A-2: Creating a Console to Manage Local Security Policies
- Policy Properties Dialog Box
- Container Types
- Types of Domain GPOs
- GPOs Applied in this Order
- Demo - A-3: Using the GPMC
- Demo - B-1: Creating Users and Groups Based on Security Needs
- File System Security
- Access Control Models
- Demo - B-2: Securing File Resources
Unit 05 - Peripheral Security
Topic A: File and Disk Encryption
- File and Disk Encryption
- File-level Encryption
- Demo - A-1: Enabling File-based Encryption
- Whole Disk Encryption
- Windows BitLocker
- BitLocker Life Cycle
- Other Disk Encryption Tools
- Demo - A-2: Creating an Encrypted Volume
- Demo - A-3: Mounting, Using, and Dismounting an Encrypted Volume
- Peripherals and Components
- USB Drives
- Shredding Standards
- Demo - B-2: Using Windows Policies to Mitigate the Risks of Peripherals
- Mobile Device Risks
- Additional Concerns
- Mitigating Risks
- Screen Lock
- Android Security Settings
- Risks and Threats
Unit 06 - Public Key Infrastructure
Topic A: Public Key Cryptography
- Setup and Initialization Phase
- Administration Phase
- Cancellation and Key History
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Microsoft Certificate Services
- AD Integration Options
- Demo - B-1: Installing a stand-alone Root Certificate Authority
- Demo - B-2: Installing an Enterprise Subordinate CA
- Demo - B-3: Implementing a File-based Certificate Request
- Demo - B-4: Managing your Certificate Server
- User Certificates
- Demo - B-5: Requesting a User Certificate
- Certificate Revocation
- Demo - B-6: Revoking a Certificate
- Key Escrow and Recovery
- Key Recovery Agent
- Demo - B-7: Enabling the EFS Recovery Agent Template
- Demo - B-8: Enrolling for a Recovery Agent Certificate
- Demo - B-9: Enabling Key Archival
- Demo - B-10: Re-enrolling All Certificates
- Securing Web Servers
- Commercial Certificate
- Demo - C-1: Requesting and Installing a Web Server Certificate
- Demo - C-2: Enabling SSL for the Certificate Server Website
- HTTPS Connections
- Demo - C-3: Making a Secure Connection
- Demo - C-4: Requesting a Client Certificate via the Web
Unit 07 - Application and Messaging Security
Topic A: Application Security
- Application Security
- Programmer's Perspective
- Administrator's Perspective
- User's Perspective
- Application Attacks
- E-mail Security
- E-mail Application Security
- Demo - B-2: Configuring an E-mail Client to Use Secure Authentication
- Signed and Encrypted Mail
- PGP Certificates
- X.509 Certificates
- PGP vs. S/MIME
- Demo - B-3: Examining S/MIME Features
- Using PGP
- Demo - B-4: Installing Gnu Privacy Guard and Enigmail
- Demo - B-5: Creating an OpenPGP Certificate and Key Pair
- Signed Message
- Demo - B-6: Sending a Signed Message
- Social Networking
- Instant Messaging
- IM Ports
EXPERT INSTRUCTOR-LED TRAINING
We only uses the industry’s finest instructors to develop our courses. They have a minimum of 15 years real-world experience and are subject matter experts in their fields. Unlike a live class, you can fast-forward, repeat or rewind all your lectures. This creates a personal learning experience and gives you all the benefit of hands-on training with the flexibility of doing it around your schedule 24/7.
QUIZZES & EXAM SIMULATORS
Our custom practice exams prepare you for your exams differently and more effectively than the traditional exam preps on the market. You will have practice quizzes after each module to ensure you are confident on the topic you have completed before proceeding. This will allow you to gauge your effectiveness before moving to the next module in your course. Our Courses also include practice exams designed to replicate and mirror the environment in the testing centre. These exams are on average 100 questions to ensure you are 100% prepared before taking your certification exam.
VISUAL DEMONSTRATIONS & MULTIMEDIA PRESENTATIONS
Our courseware includes instructor-led demonstrations and visual presentations that allow students to develop their skills based on real world scenarios explained by the instructor. Our Courseware always focuses on real world scenarios and skill-set development.
NAVIGATION & CONTROLS
Our self-paced training programs are designed in a modular fashion to allow you the flexibility to work with expert level instruction anytime 24/7. All courses are arranged in defined sections with navigation controls allowing you to control the pace of your training. This allows students to learn at their own pace around their schedule.
SOCIAL LEARNING & NETWORKING
We Have designed a world class Learning Management System (LMS). This system allows you to interact and collaborate with other students, form study groups, engage in discussions in our NOW@ Forums, rate and “like” different courses and stay up to date with all the latest industry knowledge through our forums, student contributions and announcement features. This LMS is unmatched in the industry and makes learning fun and enjoyable.
FLASH CARDS & EDUCATIONAL GAMES
Our Courseware knows that education is not a one size fits all approach. Students learn in different ways through different tools. That is why we provide Flash Cards and Education Games throughout our courses. This will allow you to train in ways that keep you engaged and focused. Each course will have dozens of Flash Cards so you can sharpen your skill-sets throughout your training as well as educational games designed to make sure your retention level of the materials is extremely high.
12 MONTHS UNLIMITED ACCESS
Each student will have 12 months unlimited access to allow you to have access to the training anytime 24/7.
Need Practical Experience?
As a bolt-on option, we offer Practice Labs as it provides users with an online lab platform to develop their practical skills in IT technologies such as CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco and VMWare.
In addition to the hardware you require, you also gain access to high quality practical exercises covering exam topics to help you to maximize your study time and increase your results. Practice Labs are highly effective and offer a cheaper alternative to setting up your own test environment.
You will gain unlimited access to the Practice Labs for 12 months- helping you to consolidate your learning and prepare you for work.
Gain access to our E-Book's Library
This bolt-on option will provide you with a wealth of research and reference material to help you make the most of your studies. Our e-book's library will serve as a great addition to your course material and provide massive savings in comparison to the cost of buying additional study books to support your learning.
For more information about our career advice services, contact us on 0808 175 1269 to speak with one of our friendly course advisors today.
We make it our absolute mission to give you the training you need and the service you deserve. Hear what our students say about us...
A new way to pay
3 Easy Payments
on baskets between £35 and £1,000
- Pay in 3 equal payments every 30 days
- No fees, interest or credit agreement.
- Instant credit approval at checkout
- Safe and secure - you're covered through Klarna's Buyer Protection Policy.
- Easily manage payments online or through the Klarna app.
HOW TO GET STARTED?
- Add your course to basket and proceed to checkout.
- Ensure you have sufficient funds available in your card to cover the first payment.
- Select “Klarna” as your payment method and place your order.
- Your order will be dispatched as normal and the two remaining payments will be taken at 30 and 60 days.
- Klarna will send you an email confirmation and reminders when it’s time to pay.
Spread the cost up to 4 years*
on baskets over £250
- Spread the cost from 6 months up to 4 years – you choose the term
- 0% interest on terms of 6-36 months
- 9.99% interest on terms of 48 months
Representative example without 0% or 9.99% offers: Representative 18.9% APR (variable) Purchase interest rate 18.9% p.a. (variable) Assumed credit limit £1,200
- Buy now, pay in 30 days
- 3 easy payments
- Spread the cost
Look for Klarna
*Credit offered subject to financial circumstances. Must be 18. T&Cs apply.
Klarna: Subject to financial circumstances. You must be at least 18. Credit is provided by Klarna Bank AB, which is authorised and regulated by the Swedish Financial Services Authority, with limited supervision by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority in the UK. Registered office: Sveavägen 46, 111 34 Stockholm, Sweden. Corporation ID number: 556737-0431. If you already have a Klarna Credit account, this purchase will be added to your balance.
Pay in 30 days: The payment period is 30 days from shipment of goods. Full terms and conditions
3 Easy Payments: A third is payable on the day of purchase. The balance is paid in two equal monthly instalments over the following two months. Open to anyone with a UK registered debit or credit card.
The payment methods Pay in 30 days and 3 Easy Payments are only available in case of a positive credit assessment. For this purpose, during the order process and handling of your purchase, we forward your data for an address and credit check to Klarna. We can only offer you the payment methods available based on the result of the credit check. General information about Klarna and the user terms per country can be found on klarna.com. Your personal data is handled in accordance with applicable data protection law and in accordance with the information in Klarna's privacy statement.